Music & text: Traditional English carol
- God rest ye merry, gentlemen, let nothing you dismay, Remember Christ our Savior was born on Christmas Day; To save us all from Satan's power when we were gone astray.
- In Bethlehem, in Israel, this blessed Babe was born, And laid within a manger upon this blessed morn; The which His mother Mary did nothing take in scorn. (Chorus)
- From God our heavenly Father a blessed angel came; And unto certain shepherds brought tidings of the same; How that in Bethlehem was born the Son of God by name. (Chorus)
- Fear not, then, said the angel, Let nothing you afright; This day is born a Savior of a pure Virgin bright, To free all those who trust in Him from Satan's power and might. (Chorus)
- The shepherds at those tidings rejoiced much in mind, And left their flocks a feeding in tempest, storm and wind, And went to Bethlehem straightway the Son of God to find. (Chorus)
- But when to Bethlehem they came where our dear Savior lay, They found Him in a manger where oxen feed on hay; His mother Mary kneeling down unto the Lord did pray. (Chorus)
- Now to the Lord sing praises all you within this place, And with true love and brotherhood each other now embrace; This holy tide of Christmas doth bring redeeming grace. (Chorus)
Chorus: O tidings of comfort and joy, comfort and joy; O tidings of comfort and joy.
© Copyright 2018 RK Deverich. All rights reserved.